The NIH Library is making EndNote X8 available to NIH staff through December 31, 2017. This license allows anyone directly associated with NIH to download or upgrade to the latest edition of EndNote, and can be installed on a total of three computers per user.
What is EndNote X8?
EndNote is a reference management tool, and X8 is the latest version available. With EndNote X8, you can find, download, and organize citations in a searchable database, making it easier to write manuscripts and manage CVs. Use EndNote to:
- Import references from online databases such as PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science
- Create and share bibliographies with up to 100 colleagues, anywhere in the world
- Instantly see the history of changes made to your shared library with a built-in activity log
- Synchronize citations, attachments, reference groups, and annotations between PC, Mac, web, and iPad
- Download, store, and organize PDFs
- Format and insert references into Microsoft Word-based manuscripts using the top 6,000 journal reference format styles
- Search across reference metadata, full-text journal articles, file attachments, and your notes and personal annotations to locate the research you need in just seconds
How Do I Download EndNote X8?
NOTE: You need administrative rights on your computer to install EndNote X8 and NIH credentials to access the software download page.
- Contact your IT support group to request administrative rights on your computer for EndNote software installation. They may also be able to help you with the installation.
- Go to https://nihlibrary.nih.gov/researchtools/Pages/EndNote-Downloader.aspx. Please note that NIH authentication is required to access this page.
- Follow the instructions on that page to initiate the software download for your Windows or Mac computer, as appropriate.
Should I Upgrade to EndNote X8?
The NIH Library strongly encourages everyone currently using EndNote to upgrade to this latest edition (EndNote X8) before December 31, 2017 to take advantage of the latest features and support. To perform the upgrade, administrative rights are required; please work with your IT support group to request administrative rights and to help with installation. Prior to running the update, it is strongly recommended that you backup your existing EndNote libraries, as issues have been reported with accessing EndNote libraries after the update.
Training and Support
For additional assistance with EndNote X8, NIH Library offers training and support:
- Ask a Librarian or call 301-496-1080
- Take classes at the NIH Library
- Request a personal tutorial conducted by NIHL librarians
- Get additional support from online tutorials and training on the EndNote website
The NIH Library in Building 10 serves the information needs of NIH staff and select Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) agencies. The NIH Library is part of the Office of Research Services (ORS) in the Office of the Director (OD).